I wanna go…



Santorini | Valletta | Giza | Istanbul



Cesky Krumlov | Seville | Sofia | Mostar



Bilbao | Petra | Moscow | Pula
I wanna watch…

I'm listening to...

Desaru Day 2

>> Friday, January 05, 2007

Day 2: Desaru to Pengerang to Singapore (19/12/06)

We woke up at 6 am and packed our backpacks as we would be leaving for Singapore. However, we would be cycling all the way to Pengerang before we can leave Malaysia.

We viewed the scenery along the beach while waiting for the rest of the big group to pack up their stuff and fold the tents.


A very windy morning at Desaru


Look at the layered waves!

We had our breakfast and loaded our backpacks into lorry before leaving the resort. The first 2 km was TIRING as it is an uphill task after a bit of downslope. Feeling 'shag' at the start of the 50 plus km journey back to Pengerang.


Ks and me at a rest stop

I started getting used to the aching feeling after the undulating slope in the beginning. Me, Ks and Kr were among the front pack and we competed among each other for a while. I really like cycling downslope at top speed and the scenery was not bad along the way. However, it was very troublesome to stop and take pictures while i was cycling.

There was some intermittent rain but we continued our journey as we have gotten used to being in the rain. I was no longer feeling of 'regret' like the day before when i was cycling but it was more of the 'pumped up' feeling as exercising in the morning is quite refreshing.

We cycled, cycled, cycled and cycled for hours and my butt was seriously in PAIN. Why do they design such small seats for bikes? Why can't they put lightweight chairs in place of it? It will look awfully weird though. I could tolerate the aching muscles as they had gotten used to the activity but my sore and compressed butt was the bane of my troubles. I adjusted the position of my butt frequently during the 5 to 6 hours of cycling.


Another rest stop with giant signboard (notice that all of us are wet?)


The seemingly endless road ahead

We finally reached Sungei Rengit at around 11 am and waited for the rest to arrive. Everyone finally reached Sungei Rengit at 11.45 am and we proceeded to have our long awaited lunch at Jade Garden. We had discussed what to eat while waiting for the rest to arrive and decided on fish, crabs, meat, veg and some other dishes.

We had a very full and satisfying lunch for just slightly less than S$10 per pax. We then proceeded with our cycling and there was 18 km left between Pengerang and Sungei Rengit. My motivation was increased and i cycled rather fast trying to keep up with the speed of the front leaders to no avail. They have too much stamina and speed compared to me. When the front leaders took a short break, i overtook them and did not take a break during the entire 18 km cycling trip. I was overtaken by the front leaders soon after though. Ha....

There was really heavy rain during the last 2 km of the cycling trip and it took a toil on me as i could barely see anything more than 5 metres ahead. As some of my army mates know, i shout, sigh and take in air incredibly loudly when i'm super 'shag', and i couldn't help it but release my inner feelings of extreme tiredness. I was kind of proud of myself though for completing the mentally and physically exhausting cycling journey and being among the top 6 or 7 people to arrive first at the Pengerang jetty.

We rested at the jetty for quite some time as i believe the pack of people behind us had took shelter along the way due to the heavy rain. After about an hour, most people finally arrived at the jetty and we boarded the bumboat back to Singapore at around 3 pm.


View of Pengerang from the bumboat


The long journey which we conquered

To conclude this trip: Please don't go Desaru during December! The monsoon rains and huge waves will render any sea sports useless. Luckily it was just a cycling trip for us. I most probably will not join any ODAC organised activities again coz i would definitely prefer myself being the organiser. The Desaru cycling trip is considered challenging for me and although it is not considered an enjoyable experience for me (it is not supposed to be enjoyable (in the holiday sense) in the first place anyway since it is an ODAC activity), it is a great outdoor activity for cycling enthusiasts.

0 comments: