I wanna go…



Santorini | Valletta | Giza | Istanbul



Cesky Krumlov | Seville | Sofia | Mostar



Bilbao | Petra | Moscow | Pula
I wanna watch…

I'm listening to...

Audition

>> Saturday, January 07, 2006

Had 2 hours of lecture on Friday and met up with Fuli after that to practise our audition songs in my hall for the lunchtime concert on Valentine's Day. I was going to sing Si Lu by Fish Leong. Some may think that it's a difficult song to sing but for a guy to sing it is quite easy actually. The male singers whose songs that i mainly listen to are quite challenging to sing, eg songs by David Tao, Jay Chou, JJ Lin and Jones Shi. Afraid that i might zou3 jing1 during the audition, i decided to give their songs a miss.

Fuli had not chose a song yet and he decided on David Tao's Jiu Shi Ai Ni. Some parts of the song need transition to falsetto and the last verse of the song is incredibly high pitch as well.

We then met up with Ly for dinner and went for Geyong at Student Activities Centre. As expected, we waited around half an hour for the activity to start. When the seniors were briefing us on the activities later, we realised that the audition was in front of everyone! Naturally, i got nervous as hell as there were around 40 people in the activities room. I was stretching myself when i noticed my fly was open! Oops! I was seated in the front row and i don't wanna pull up my zip and "inform" everyone that my fly was open. I pulled my t-shirt down to cover the appropriate areas and waited for a break to go to toilet and fix it.

I brisked walked to the toilet and found out that my zip was freaking spoilt! I was thinking SHIT! I have to sing to sing a song in front of so many people later and the worst thing happened. Liyuan went to the toilet to take a breather as he was nervous about the audition as well. I told him my embarrassing problem and surprise suprise, he got a safety pin! Liyuan is my life saviour! Haha... Still, I tried to fix my zip but gave up after many attempts. Secured the safety pin and tried to conceal the pin before returning to the activity room.

I was the fifth to perform and i had brought along the ktv disc with the song inside. The music helped to ease my tension a lot as i don't have to care about setting the tempo of the song. The first few lines were not very good in my opinion but it gradually got better and it was the first time i felt so relaxed in front of so many people. The ktv session during the new year party helped a lot as i am more at ease singing with many people around. I was practising what the seniors had preached last semester; making small steps and keeping eye contact with the audience. Another memorable experience and i'm glad i auditioned for it. My voice still needs improvement though, i would consider it quite a worthy effort but definitely not great or impressive.

There were several commendable contestants who nailed the songs they sung. The quality of their voices and their technique was really good. One of our cca members borrowed my ktv disc and browsed through some of the songs inside. He then decided to participate in the audition and sing Si Lu as well! I wasn't really happy that he would be repeating the song but bring on the competition. The first line he uttered stunned everyone as no one expected that he would be singing in the female key! It made many of our goosebumps pop up as he continued singing in purely falsetto. I have to admire his courage though.

Only a few botched their songs and the audience had to vote for 3 of their favourite singers among the 14 people that auditioned. I wasn't one of them as i myself expected. Nevertheless i didn't regret participating in it and one of the seniors commented that i had improved a lot. She also asked me why i keep singing songs by female singers. As Fuli had previously said, the mood of a song sung by females is hard to capture if a guy sings it. I guess i should prepare a song by a male singer next time. ;)

2 comments:

Kok Sheng 8:57 AM  

very interesting audition you had!! Hahaa. It was an experience for you ah... esp the zip part.

Gunz 4:15 PM  

haha... yeah i guess