I wanna go…



Santorini | Valletta | Giza | Istanbul



Cesky Krumlov | Seville | Sofia | Mostar



Bilbao | Petra | Moscow | Pula
I wanna watch…

I'm listening to...

2005 Recap!

>> Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I seriously loved 2005 to bits. Except the school part. Well, i never ever liked studying since i was young anyway.

Jan 2005: Was posted to Mindef in Dec 2004 and did admin job there. It was a much different experience compared to when i was in 3 Guards. We were in an office environment, typing stuff, photostating stuff, faxing stuff, despatching stuff, etc. Had more interactions with people of different ranks, from privates to majors. It was more like a working environment than an army experience. Also, we had to pay for our own food when we were in Mindef.

Feb & Mar 2005: We were clearing leave and i was busy learning driving to get a civilian license. Spent around $1000 and got my driving license on 4th March. Was really darn glad that i passed and got 6 points only! Haha.... The rest of March was spent going back camp a few days to help out in the new batch of BMT recruits passing out parade, and going out for outings and stuff like that. ORDed on 21st March! Officially stepped into the civilian world after 2 years and 2 months in the army.

Apr 2005: We were mostly looking for jobs and i clinched a job at InCall System. Data entry was super boring! The pay was not bad at $7 per hour. Worked for only 2 weeks though, as there was excess of manpower. Tried another job which is distributing leaflets from door to door and quit after 1 day. It was very tiring and the pay is not very good. Desperate for another job, i took on a street survey job and it was not only demoralising but tiring as well. Quit after 1 day as well.

May 2005: Department of Statistics accepted Clarence and i to be their survey officers and we were the backbone of General Household Survey 2005 (once every 10 years). The pay is good and the working hours are flexible. The best part is that the survey is compulsory under the Statistics Act and we just have to travel to different people's houses and ask them some questions. (Although many were not at home and some insisted not to do the survey) This job not only improved my navigation skills, it also improved my confidence when talking to strangers, my persuasive skills and it increased my tolerance for impatient people. Was extremely pleased with my first month paycheck of $1860.

Jun 2005: I was still doing the same job and my supervisor decided to assign me with more challenging households. I had to walk long distances to visit the specified private estates and there was once when i walked from Bukit Timah, Newton, Novena, Balestier to Whompoa (a total of 11 km). The money was worth it though. I would normally wake up at 12-1 pm and work from 4-10 pm. Went to KL in late June with my JC classmates and it was great fun. Earned around $1500 as a result of 5 days without work.

Jul 2005: The workload was lesser as GHS 2005 is coming to an end in late Jul and we had completed many of the household cases. Itchy for another overseas trip, my JC classmates organised a trip to Bangkok. It was good fun as well although we got sick of shopping in the 3rd day. Got a paycheck of $1000 for the last month of work. Entered NTU in the last week of July. Started hostel life in hall 1 with Clarence but we did not participate in any of the hall activities.

Aug 2005: We were all jittery about our brains and whether we can absorb so much of the stuff thrown at us during uni. I started to become a mugger with some peer pressure and fear of doing badly. From Mr Slacker and Mr Sleeping Beauty, i changed to Mr Mugger. (Actually many people are more hardworking than me also) Uni life is all about studying and i got so sick of it i decided to join a cca with Fuli. It is Geyong (chinese pop song singing) under Chinese Society. Celebrated my 21st birthday with many of my friends and relatives!

Sep 2005: Studying...........Studying..........and Studying!

Oct 2005: Exams are nearer and nearer. Studying.....Studying.......and More Studying!

Nov 2005: Exams have arrived. I was 85% prepared for the exams and had spent an average of 4 days studying for each exam. First exams after 3 years. Exams ended on 25th Nov and everyone was really glad it was over.

Dec 2005: Finally, an entire month to relax! Spend money was all i did and i went to Langkawi with my course people. Watching movies, shopping and eating was my main activies during the Dec holidays. How i wish everyday could be so carefree. The examination results were also released and my results were within expectations.

2005 is indeed an eventful year for me. Sadly, 2006, 2007, 2008, and half of 2009 will not be as eventful coz i'll still be stuck in university. I'll be old when i get out of uni. Argggg....... Haha....

0 comments: