I wanna go…



Santorini | Valletta | Giza | Istanbul



Cesky Krumlov | Seville | Sofia | Mostar



Bilbao | Petra | Moscow | Pula
I wanna watch…

I'm listening to...

Yeah!

>> Friday, March 04, 2005

I've made it, the nervousness nearly wrecked me today. I had a revision before my test and the wait between after my revision and the start of my warm-up was 1 hour. So i was sitting outside the traffic police counter waiting and reading my booklet anxiously for time to pass. My bowels became too active and i had to settle some big business. ;) I was sitting with other testees and i think i was the most nervous guy there. My breathing was raspy and i was shaking my leg non-stop. I just kept waiting and waiting, until 2.35 pm when i went down to print my allocation slip and do the warm-up before the test.

Well, it was much better when i was driving. The instructor brought me to do the circuit requirements first before heading out to the main road on test route 4. It was generally ok, only missed checking a few blind spots. After the warm-up, we headed back to the driving centre. It was another wait and we were all seated at the waiting area. After 15 mins, we were ushered into a room where a tester gave us a brief on the test. A person is chosen to help to select the test route and tester for everyone taking the test. I was given test route 6 and my tester is Lai. After the selection, we had to wait again for our tester to come and bring us to our car. I was the second last person to be called and it was already 3.50 pm.

My test had finally began and i tried to be calm although i was drenched with cold sweat. The circuit was not bad coz i didn't have any mistakes. Then, out to the main road. Everything was smooth until i had to change lane on bukit batok road. There were quite a lot of vehicles and i was not too sure whether the car behind me was close enough for me to lane change. I changed my lane anyhow since the traffic light junction was rather close and if i didn't change my lane after the traffic light, i would be on a turn left only road. I was quite familiar with this route and there was also a junction with a stop line on a slope and using the handbrake was essential. Guess what, i stalled the engine when i was about to move off. Nevertheless, i quickly restarted the engine and headed off. Stalling of engine does not deduct you any points at all, unless you stall your engine in the middle of a junction or delay the vehicles behind you. A reminder, don't panic when you stall your engine, just quickly clutch in and turn the key. I was on my way back to the driving centre and was turning left when a car U-turned and appeared on the right lane behind but adjacent to me. I was rather worried because i did not notice the car that U-turned behind me. On further thoughts, i had the right-of-way and it should be the car that gives way to me. I parked the car and went up with the tester back to the same room. The first thing that he said to me was "Your driving is not bad, can drive." He gave me 6 points and a pass. I was thanking him profusely as i couldn't control my happiness.

Tips for doing well during your driving test:
1) Your circuit must be perfect. The parking, the s-course, crank course, directional change and emergency brake. Circuit is the first thing to be tested and if you don't do well for your circuit, i'm afraid the tester will have a bad first impression of your driving.

2) Please wayang and turn your head and eyes everytime you lane change or turn. This is a must. The tester will be sick of seeing you checking safety that he might imagine you checking even if you forgot to check once or twice.

3) Make your tester feel safe when you are driving. Don't follow too close another vehicle, slow down before a bend and slow down when there is a hazard in front.

4) The most important advice, be alert. Take note of the green light when there is red man flashing on the road perpendicular to yours. Always be wary of taxi and buses if they are in front of you. Keep your eyes open if there is any vehicle parked on the side of the road.

0 comments: