I wanna go…



Santorini | Valletta | Giza | Istanbul



Cesky Krumlov | Seville | Sofia | Mostar



Bilbao | Petra | Moscow | Pula
I wanna watch…

I'm listening to...

Contact Lenses

>> Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Went to collect my contact lenses and specs today but my specs was not ready yet. Tried putting contacts for the first time in my life today. I took quite some time to put the contacts onto my eyeballs. Learnt how to use both my hands to force open the eyelid so that the cornea is fully exposed, then put the contact lense on top of it. It's really hard in the beginning. My eyes would flinch everytime the side of the lense touched them. It took some time before getting used to the discomfort of touching my eyeballs. Both my eyes were red and teary from the practice. When i finally got both contacts on my eyes, the feeling is a bit uncomfortable and if i kept blinking, the discomfort will stay there. The discomfort does subside after a short while but a small amount still lingers. Time to practice removing the contacts. Firstly, i have to force open my eyelids wide open again and use my thumb and the 1st finger to squeeze the sides of my cornea to remove the contacts. It was hard, using one finger to put the contacts on is bad enough, now i have to use 2 fingers. Nevertheless, i tried and tried and my eyes became sore and teary. Success came after around 15 tries. I heaved a sigh of relief to get those things off my poor eyes. Time for second practice to confirm my ability of wearing contacts. I put them on in less than 3 tries. Quite pleased with my new-found ability, i become more confident and took the contacts off successfully at the 1st attempt. I guess it just comes naturally with enough practice and correct technique. Next up is cleaning and handling the contacts properly. A multi-purpose solution is provided to clean them. Putting the contacts on the tip of my finger, i have to rub it on palm of my hand damped with the solution. After that, rinsing the contacts with the solution is essential before putting them in a small container. Cleaning the contacts is necessary after every use to prevent protein, dirt and bacteria accumulation on the lenses. We are also advised not to wear them for more than 12 hours everyday or wear them while sleeping.

0 comments: